- Controversy engulfs Kentucky After Christmas Sale being held at Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington. David Landrum and Jerrold Pedigo forced to hire Mark Matson/Donna Benefield, International Walking Horse Association HIO, and can no longer let SHOW HIO do inspections. NO PADDED HORSES INSPECTED OR SOLD.
- Herr David L. Howard has son Jeffrey put the arm on WHTA Prez Mickey McCormick and the Trainer Boyz to join PSHA or else. The Trainer Boyz get stampeded into it – but they don’t care as long as somebody else is going to be paying for it.
- PSHA ““ Performance Show Horse Association was supposed to do four things:
- Be the Public Face of the “Big Lick” padded performance horse
- Become certified as an HIO by USDA to take over from the embattled debt ridden and proven failure SHOW HIO.
- Form a new “American Walking Horse” Breed Registry”
- Provide “Herr” Howard with TOTAL CONTROL of the Tennessee Walking Horse Racket.
- TRAINERS SHOW -PSHA attempts to “short notice” USDA and get PSHA certified as HIO. USDA doesn’t play ball. Lots of empty blue seats. Public won’t come to the building.
- March 30, 2013 PSHA Chair Terry Dotson, Jeffrey Howard, Mickey McCormick and Lobbyist Jeff Speaks meet for 15 minutes with U. S. Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack. Terry Dotson promises Tom Vilsack he and PSHA will clean up soring.
- April 18, 2013 – Blount County SPCA/USDA obtain search warrant and raid Larry joe Wheelon Barn on Tuckaleechee Pike, Maryville, Tennessee.
- April 25, 2013 – Larry Joe Wheelon arrested and 19 horses were seized.
- TWHBEA EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE votes 7 – 4 to endorse HR 1518, Prevent All Soring Tactics Act:
SEVEN VOTE TO ENDORSE HR 1518, PREVENT ALL SORING TACTICS ACT
- Tracy Boyd
- Joyce Moyer
- Rick Wies
- Pat Stout
- Linda Montgomery
- Denise Bader Keyser
- Caroline Hoffman
- TWHBEA Directors refuse to ratify Executive Committee endorsement of HR 1518.
- TWHBEA President Tracy Boyd issues May 27, 2013 Statement – “When you’ve lost the public – you’ve lost it all”.
- Celebration Spring Fun Show – Lots of empty seats
- Tracy Boyd fired by Baskin-Irby Construction.
- TWHBEA CEO Ron Thomas takes early retirement
- TWHBEA hires Tracy Boyd to replace Ron Thomas
- Marty Irby starts campaigning for HR 1518
- Loyd Black selected Interim TWHBEA President.
- Celebration confiscates TWHBEA’s building on Celebration grounds.
- Celebration refuses to give TWHBEA show records.
- Jackie McConnell sentenced in Somerville, Tennessee – fined $25,000.00 and sentenced to one year house arrest.
- Fayette County Assistant District Attorney Mark Davidson files action to confiscate Floyd and Beverly Sherman horses seized at Jackie McConnell’s.
- U. S. Judge Terry Means “slam dunks” Celebration SHOW HIO and sore Big Lick crowd in Summary Judgement in Fort Worth, Texas Federal Court upholding Mandatory Minimum Penalties.
- Celebration David L. Howard announces $931,000 losses over five years, and SHOW HIO in debt for $560,000.00.
- HSUS gives $1,000.00 to sponsor TWHBEA World Versatility Show.
- Heavy Hitters – Sound Horse Advocate Donna Benefield, W.Ron Dehaven, AVMA CEO; FOSH President Teresa Bippen and Gaited Horse Clinician Gary Lane meet for one hour with U. S. Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack.
- Larry Joe Wheelon has Preliminary Hearing and charge is dismissed on a technicality.
- Outraged Blount County citizens start Petition Drive for D. A. to take case to Grand Jury.
- Celebration officials, David L Howard and John T. Bobo, Consigliere, surrender to the United States and accept Mandatory Penalties
- Pat Stout asks the Executive Director about polling TWHBEA members on HR 1518, and she is told that is not a good idea and don’t bring it up.
- PSHA Chair Terry Dotson gets two horses turned down sore the first night of Celebration, gets mad and gets into it with a USDA VMO.
- Terry Dotson resigns as PSHA Chair, leaves during Celebration and goes home to Kingston and stays in his camper eating Cheetos.
- The “Saviour Horse” – Honors – gets turned down, two scar rules and barely misses getting Two Footer sore. The visibly upset crowd voices displeasure and leaves the Celebration in uproar.
- SHOW HIO virtually stops inspecting horses – finds 30 HPA violations for the entire show. USDA spot checks horses and finds 70 HPA violations.
- Celebration SHOW HIO manufactures 98.4% compliance – Bobby Sands reads to crowd what Purple Strategies writes and hands to him.
- On Friday, August 30 – SHOW HIO finds 0 of 138 , while USDA finds 10 of 75.
- Celebration attendance shows public no longer approves of sore Big Lick.
- In 2012, Mike Inman and David Howard put the man and his boss on a garbage can
- In 2013, they have the goon squad shadowing him.
- ‘Real nice and smart thing to do to a guy who is on a first name basis with ABC Nightline Reporter Shushannah Walshe and Priscilla Presley.
- TWHBEA VP – HORSE SHOWS – Pat Stout decides to poll the TWHBEA members on HR 1518/S1406 legislation.
- Sept. 10 – Pat Stout obtains TWHBEA members list.
- Sept. 20 – Pat mails 6,950 postcard ballots to TWHBEA members – 26% participate.
- Sept. 27 – TWHBEA Executive Committee – Big Lick “Lynch Mob”
- Sound Horse Advocate Donna Benefield and former TWHBEA President Marty Irby go door to door on Capitol Hill seeing Congressmen and Senators – lobbying for passage of the Prevent All Soring Tactics Act
- Oct. 13 – TWHBEA President Loyd Black abruptly resigns.
- Oct 15 – HR 1518 Poll Results – VOTES Counted – landslide 63% of TWHBEA members vote “YES” for passage of HR 1518/S1406 Prevent All Soring Tactics Act with 26% Turnout.
- Oct. 22 – Chattanooga Times Free Press – Praises HR 1518 Poll – Endorses HR 1518
- Nov. 9, – University of Tennessee Homecoming Game features flat shod natural gaited Tennessee Walking Horse, Caroline Emery on Amazing Grace, Cat Dye, Trainer, Winchester, Tennessee.
- Nov. 10 – Full Color – POLL – Ad runs in Sunday edition of The Tennessean – Paid For By Concerned Citizens Against Horse Soring.
- Congressional Hearing before House Energy and Commerce Subcommittee. Invited witnesses testify before Congressional panel with “The Lickers” and “The Flatters” in attendance.
- Nov. 20 – The Tennessean Newspaper – criticizes Tennessee U. S. Senators Lamar Alexander and Bob Corker, and Congressional delegation (except Rep. Steve Cohen) for remaining silent on the Prevent All Soring Tactics Act
- Walking Horse Report Publisher David L. Howard has Jerry Harris attack Sound Horse Advocate and 2010 Celebration Consultant Donna Benefield.
- Congressman Ed Whitfield (R-KY) hires Marty Irby as Agriculture Legislative Aide.
- Celebration SHOW HIO calls it quits.
- Blount County, Tennessee Grand Jury indicts Larry Joe Wheelon and three alleged co-conspirators on 19 counts aggravated animal cruelty charges. All are afforded the presumption of innocence.
- California TWHBEA members represented by attorneys Fran Cole and Patricia Kryder, King & Ballow, petition TWHBEA under Tennessee law for removal of Christy Lantis as California Director
- TWHBEA Executive Committee dismisses all matters regarding Pat Stout.
- Big Lick crowd takes over at TWHBEA
- Discussion regarding HR 1518/S1406 Poll dominates TWHBEA members meeting
- Everett “Butch” Allen makes Motion for Enforcement Committee to revisit the HR 1518 Poll matter.
- U. S. Senator John Thune (R-SD) co-sponsors S.1406. Thune is the ranking Republican on the Senate Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee to which S. 1406 has been referred. He is Chairman of the Senate Republican Conference and number three man in the Senate Republican leadership.
- Clay Harlin provides recalls his experiences facing the reality of soring and his vision for the Tennessee Walking Horse breed.
- Trainer Carl Bledsoe steps up and tells it the way it is.
- John C. Haffner, DVM, Horse Science Faculty at MTSU provides “case closed” hands on narrative of Big Lick soring culture.
- Responding to Texas Director Allen’s Motion – Pat Stout attorney Clant M. Seay,
- releases Greg Cook, CPA, Cook and Co., Detailed Breakdown, State by State and Region, along with graphic color map of the United States showing that the entire country is for passage of the Prevent All Soring Tactics Act except for four states where a minority of vocal sore Big Lick advocates still cling to the idea that there is possible growth potential or expansion of the breed despite the stigma of soring that overhangs the Tennessee Walking Horse.
- Priscilla Presley notifies Celebration that Elvis and the Graceland Challenge Trophy will be leaving “The Building” over the continued soring and “inhumane treatment” of horses at The Tennessee Walking Horse National Celebration.
- California attorney and former TWHBEA Director Fran Cole persists in representing California TWHBEA groups efforts to have removal vote on Director Christy Lantis to be done by secret written ballot.
- TWHBEA Sr. VP Walt Chism denies California TWHBEA members the right to vote on Lantis removal by secret written ballot and engages in internet discussion with Directors regarding TWHBEA’s legal position.
- TWHBEA President Steve Smith responds to “internet Chatter” and writes letter to TWHBEA directors and lectures them on being involved in “squabble” that is wasting TWHBEA resources, and promises to “promote our breed to new heights”.
Thank you for being along for the ride in 2013.
Radar, Nephew Eugene, Harold, Mortimer, Randolph and I can’t wait until 2014.
Please come join us.
Billy and Radar.