LEWISBURG, TN – The King Steve Smith TWHBEA Executive Committee met Friday morning in Lewisburg, Tennessee on North Ellington Parkway:
- King Steve Smith decided to ration donuts, pastries and lunches for the EC sessions because TWHBEA members are underpaid and now have to work the Smith/Chism brain storm idea of a 51/2 day week. So far, this idea has resulted in TWHBEA staff sitting around doing crossword puzzles because nobody is showing up to do any business in the dead of winter.
- King Steve Smith advises he is forming a ‘Litigation Committee”. Members are TWHBEA Chief Justice Walt Chism, King Steve Smith, Tom “I’m A Proud HPA Violator” Kakassy, Sherry White and David Williams.
It seems there is so much Litigation presently going on and about to go on that all of it is distracting the focus of the Executive Committee in rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.
- King Smith suggested EC members mail bios and photos to their local newspapers in Smith’s words to provide “good press” for the Tennessee Walking Horse and to presumably help overcome this TWH image generated by the Wheelon case.
- The EC listened to a TWHBEA member from South Carolina make a speech supporting sore Big Lick California Director Christy Lantis. She proposed limiting voting privileges for TWHBEA members which was referred to By-Laws Committee headed up by Lantis sore Big Lick partner Tom Kakassy. At one time in the United States, only men who owned property could vote. Its not clear what Christy Lantis’s SC friend wants to do about those California dues paying members who want to vote to remove Lantis because she supports the sore Big Lick horse and 79% of them do not. (Note: SC THWBEA members voted 51% “YES” for passage of the HR 1518/S1406, Prevent All Soring Tactics Act)
- Fiscal Affairs VP Christy Lantis reported that TWHBEA lost $10,000.00 during December 2013.
- Tracy Boyd said Cook and Co of Arab, Alabama severed its relationship with TWHBEA. Cook and Co. provided accounting services to TWHBEA since 2003. At that time TWHBEA had about 20,000 members and now it has about 7,600. Cook and Co was hired to count the votes in the historic HR 1518/S1406 PAST Act Poll which showed that TWHBEA members are 63% for passage of the PAST Act. King Smith’s Executive Committee opposes the Prevent All Soring Tactics Act.
- ED Tracy Boyd reported TWHBEA staff is now working 51/2 days a week, and something about “edit/ad” ratio on the Voice Magazine which sounds like it is about to go under. At one time the slick full color Voice Magazine was the “showpiece” of TWHBEA.
- Sr VP Walt Chism continued to rearrange the deck chairs by proposing the elimination of the traditional “free” annual transfer or registration that accompanies membership. Several members like Chism have dispersed their brood mares so it doesn’t directly affect their pocket-book by eliminating one of the treasured perks of TWHBEA membership. At one time, a TWHBEA slogan was “Membership Has Its Advantages”. Apparently, no more.
- Chism and Lantis went back and forth on Chism’s idea that memberships run from Jan 1 – Dec 31, and if a member joins during the year the $60 membership fee is prorated. Lantis had reservations so it was tabled until the next meeting.
- Denise Bader Keyser, International VP, who represent 100% “YES” members voting for the PAST Act and who shows Big Lick horses in the United States which have been found to be sore and have HPA violation histories, made a perfunctory report. Word is there is considerable unrest in the International Community about Bader Keyser’s sore Big Lick sympathies reflected by her votes on the TWHBEA EC, and her opposition to the PAST Act which she voted to endorse in May 2013 before she flip flopped.
- Dr. Linda Montgomery, VP Equine Welfare/Trainers, who is the “senior” age wise member on the EC, wasn’t treated with much respect. Dr. Montgomery included former TWHBEA President Marty Irby on her committee. Her proposed list was rejected. Subsequently, it is reported that Dr. Montgomery was not included in the Executive Session later in the meeting.
The Walking Horse Report owned by Celebration Chair David L. Howard provided a “sanitized” version of the TWHBEA Executive Meeting. The article was written by Sharon Higginbotham who received a USDA HPA violation notice for foreign substance on a horse at the 2009 Celebration.
After dispensing with the ‘Window Dressing Meeting” reported above, the REAL meeting took place in Executive Session.
- The EC members continue to be tormented by The Poll Map which shows a detailed break down of how 63% of the TWHBEA membership, national and overseas, voted “YES” in a POLL favoring passage of HR 1518/S1406 PAST Act. The Map has spread the message throughout the United States, the Halls of Congress and all over the world. The EC members are concerned about the impact The Poll Map is having. There are now 259 members of Congress supporting the PAST Act and 41 U.S. Senators co-sponsoring it.
- “California Gate”. Thanks to TWHBEA Chief Justice Walt Chism’s side of Hwy 96 “legal conclusion”, THWBEA has been sued in United States District Court in Sacramento, California for allegedly violating the Americans With Disabilities Act, ADA, and other grounds, by requiring its California members to travel to Lewisburg, Tennessee to vote on the removal of California Director sore Big Lick supporter Christy Lantis instead of providing them with a written ballot. The EC members discussed options to defend the suit and the bad publicity that will result from the detailed litigation. Christy Lantis, who is the subject of the removal action, participated in the Executive Session.
- The financial condition of TWHBEA was candidly discussed including TWHBEA is on shaky ground and it will soon be out of business if there is not a reversal of direction. It takes time to fill the revenue pipeline back up regarding the toll taken on foal registrations and transfers of horses due to TWHBEA’s not breaking with its support of the sore Big Lick Tennessee Walking Horse. TWHBEA continues to use the euphemism – support all “Disciplines” – which support the SORE Big Lick which the rest of the country strongly supposes. As a result, TWHBEA is on a downward spiral.
- Trying to get 400 youth memberships replaced with the public having abandoned the TWH breed due to the soring stigma which ED Tracy Boyd referenced in May 2013.
- Hiring a CPA firm to do the annual audit required by the TWHBEA By-Laws.
- SHOW HIO pending decertification with show season coming up.
- The effect the Larry Joe Wheelon prosecution will have on TWHBEA’s bottom line.
Nephew Eugene went to Lewisburg to eat Mexican last night, heard some people talking at dinner, and when he gets through doing chores, he may have some interesting tidbits about the chimichangas and some other stuff.