NOTE: The root cause of the year in, year out hullabaloo at the Tennessee Walking Horse Breed Registry known as TWHBEA is one bunch (“The Lickers”) wants to perpetuate the sore Big Lick (euphemistically called the “Performance Horse”), and the other folks (“The Flatters”) believe that the sore Big Lick is abominable animal cruelty, refuses to swear allegiance to it, and is trying their damnedest to abolish it.
LEWISBURG, TN – In what has to be the most ridiculed, embattled and embarrassing show on hooves, the dysfunctional outfit known as TWHBEA (Tennessee Walking Horse Breeders & Exhibitors Association) comes together this weekend for its 2014 Annual Membership and Directors Meeting on 2950 North Ellington Parkway.
The are two branches of the sore Big Lick faction (“The Lickers), the moderate Nazis led by Steve Smith, and the radical Nazis led by Denise Rowland.
Ms. Rowland’s beliefs appear to be similar to Cock Fighter B. L. Cozad, Jr. – essentially, that horses are livestock, private property and that humans can make any use of them any way they choose including serving them as “Horse Burgers” or soring them to produce the sore Big Lick.
COCK FIGHTER B.L. COZAD, JR. SPEAKING AT 2O14 CELEBRATION PATRONS
So at the Annual Membership meeting on Friday, December 5, 2014,
EPISODE ONE ~ THE OATH
Ms. Rowland wants it to be mandatory all TWHBEA Directors sign an Oath of Office.
They tried to kick Maryland Director/HSUS official Keith Dane out in 2012 for not supporting the sore Big Lick “Performance Horse”, but the effort fell short.
Normally, the Directors simply take a verbal Oath when they begin their terms as Directors.
Current Executive Committee member, moderate Nazi David Williams, who works for Frank Eichler (Rising Star Ranch) whose family members have received HPA violation citations, expressed himself on Dec. 2, 2014:
“Dear Directors of TWHBEA,
We will soon be gathering at the mothership for our annual TWHBEA meetings. I look forward to seeing each and every one of you and sharing our different ideas on how we can progress our breed into the future.
As it should be all opinions and strategies are welcome and encouraged. We are all a composite of the many different facets of our breed. We are not all the same; that is what makes our breed so great. We come from many walks of life and our common denominator is the Tennessee Walking Horse.\
There has been some discussion about the oath of office that the new directors will take.
The TWHBEA Oath is as follows:
Oath of Office-Approved by the International Board of Directors 5-27-95
As a member in good standing of the TWHBEA Board of Directors, I pledge:
- TO abide by the bylaws, rules regulations, mission statement, and Code of Conduct standards of TWHBEA.
- TO deliberate openly, honestly and in good faith in proceedings of the Board of Directors.
- TO discuss and/or listen to the discussion on issues brought before the board, lend my careful consideration to such issues, and respect and support the decisions reached through the democratic process of majority rule.
- TO never intentionally bring dishonor or disrespect upon the breed or the TWHBEA.
- TO keep the best interest of the breed foremost in my tenure as a board member.
- AND TO represent, to the best of my ability, the members from the state or region in which I have been elected.
Some may request that you sign the oath, which is not called for in the bylaws or code of conduct. In my opinion whether you sign the oath or not will not make you love a facet of the breed that does not appeal to you.
You all had a desire to serve our breed or you would not have run or been elected a Director of TWHBEA. I appreciate the volunteer effort of everyone to help take our breed back to its stature of the past. We are beginning to grow again and we shouldnt let the closed minds of others to hinder that growth.
For me, when you put your name on that ballot to be elected and when you walk into that meeting room to discuss and deliberate the future of our great breed your commitment has been confirmed.
I hope we can make our TWHBEA meetings this week about the betterment of our great breed and not a contentious room of disgruntlement that cannot move toward the future.
There is much to be done without wasting our time on minutia.
Have safe travels to Lewisburg,
David W. Williams, Tennessee”
Newly elected TWHBEA Director Ms Denise Rowland called Mr. Williams out, and expressed her view on Dec. 2 as follows:
Ms. Rowland – “My question is why one would object to signing that oath which has been the same since 1995. Perhaps they are ashamed of their commitment to TWHBEA or perhaps they are ” swearing a false oath” with no intention of following the bylaws, code of conduct or corporate rules. Perhaps they are some of the ones that refuse to take it, then go and brag about it.
Wonder suddenly why you David are against affixing your signature, verfying that you will honor your commitment to TWHBEA.
Personally I will be first in line to sign it. I am proud of my registry and I am honored that my constituents have trusted me to be their representative. You will have my John Hancock on that document boldly and proudly!
Mr. Kenny McGowan, TWHBEA Director from Arkansas supported Ms. Rowland’s view, and proposed putting anyone who would not sign the oath on “the bus”:
I am also very surprised about your position. I can not and do not and will not put my trust in anyone that supports dropping a 30oz log chain on a desk trying to make the public believe we use that on a horse, that’s is a lie, the people that are associated with any part of that scheme, from top to bottom, are a part of that lie, why would you believe what anyone that supports that says! If Whitfield had to have signed swearing that was the chain we use, he would not have done it!! And it’s not always the direct lie, it sometimes is the lie they caused you to believe! I say sign it and support all the divisions of this breed or roll on and I don’t care who you are , who you think you are, where you come from or how you got here!
- If you won’t sign it, your trying to keep an easy out! Put your name on the line or your butt on the bus
- Kenny McGowan Board of Director Arkansas
Ms. Carrie Benedict from Kentucky had questions:
- To All on both sides of this debate,
- I have few questions: What does signing or not signing the oath change for the association?
- Is this strictly a demonstration?
- Who and how is this going to be enforced?
- What is the pentaly structure for violations of the oath? Are there verying degrees of violations?
- In short I would like to know the logistics for this plan?
- Thank you, Carrie Benedict, Kentucky
Then Ms Jessica Hlebak from North Carolina said:
I think what David is getting at is let’s not be hung up on something like the oath, which becomes a debate every December. Let’s look at the bigger picture for our breed, stop bickering amongst ourselves and make a plan to make the TWH the #1 breed in the world.
With all due respect to Ms. Hlebak, who is ironically Pleasure Horse – VP on the Executive Committee, perhaps she should take note of the following:
Since the 2013 Annual Members and Directors Meeting, the following has occurred:
- Over 1,000 members have quit TWHBEA, a 20%+ loss of members.
- Over 70% of the U.S.House, 60 U.S. Senators & 118 Republicans co-sponsor the PAST ACT to eliminate the sore Big Lick.
- California members sued TWHBEA to remove a Director.
- A former TWHBEA officer sued TWHBEA for damages because the TWHBEA Executive Committee indefinitely suspended her membership privileges.
- A “WALK ON WASHINGTON” by the All American Walking Horse Alliance featuring Sound Natural Tennessee Walking Horses smack dab in front of the U. S. Capitol in support of pass the PAST ACT (Prevent All Soring Tactics) draws attention from USA Today, Miami-Herald, Chicago Tribune, ABC and PBS and news outlets all across America.
- A Virginia TWHBEA Director, Ms. Pam “Finger Lady” McKinley showed up to attempt to disrupt “WALK ON WASHINGTON”, and expressed herself as Capitol Police escorted her away:
- TWHBEA countered “WALK ON WASHINGTON” with “WALK ON WEDNESDAY” which featured this:
- The sore Big Lick crowd running TWHBEA decides to eliminate 40% of the United States and the World from having a TWHBEA Director by proposing draconian By-Law changes.
- The Flatters led by Maryland Director and HSUS official Keith Dane came up with a bizarre two week late, “Flatter Flyer”, and then they didn’t have anyone present when the votes were counted. The “Big Lick Power Grab” passed by 73% to 27%. Just a year earlier, with a competently run PAST ACT Opinion Poll, the TWHBEA members voted 63% to 37% “YES” to pass the PAST ACT.
“THE FLATTER FLYER” RECEIVED BY TWHBEA MEMBERS ON SEP. 30, 2014 – TWO WEEKS TOO LATE
So the Friday session, December 5, 2014, dealing with the OATH issue was full of fireworks:
And it only promises to get better, or most likely worse, on Saturday as Steve Smith’s TWHBEA Executive Committee will have to provide Financial Information to the Directors.
Stay tuned for the next Episode.