(Editor’s Note: The end of a Year is a good time to take inventory – to reflect – to learn -and to avoid the mistakes of the past. Most importantly, it provides an opportunity to chart a wise and productive course in the coming year. The intent of this series of articles is to provide the necessary information and perspective to do just that).
THETA, TN – The Citizens Campaign Against Big Lick Animal Cruelty mounted a withering innovative attack in 2015 against the Big Lick barbarism plaguing the Tennessee Walking Horse breed. Citizens from Tennessee, surrounding Southern States, America and all over the World joined the cause for the humane treatment of the Tennessee Walking Horse breed. The Citizens won victory after victory in their relentless battle to vanquish Big Lick Animal Cruelty.
The Campaign was expertly waged in social media. It featured eight (8) Change.Org Petitions and most importantly, ten (10) public protests held in the heart of Middle Tennessee.
SORING CIRCLE OF MIDDLE TENNESSEE
The efforts received prime television, newspaper and online media coverage. You Tube and Facebook videos reached over Two Million (2,000,000) people. They told the story of the institutionalized abuse of Big Lick Tennessee Walking Horses.
In late July – Gen’s Ice Glimmer, TWHBEA # 24704770, Blood Type # TWT050457, became the face and living example of the 2015 Citizens Campaign Against Big Lick Animal Cruelty.
This is what the Big Lick did to Glimmer before he was rescued from the torture.
“The Sore World of Gen’s Ice Glimmer, America’s Tennessee Walking Horse (c) Tortured at MTSU (Middle Tennessee State University)” Facebook Videos, have now reached over Two Million Three Hundred Thousand (2,300,000) persons, and been viewed almost Eight Hundred Fifty Thousand (850,000) times
Despite the Campaign’s success, at the start of 2015, things were dark and grim.
Congressman Ed Whitfield (R-KY) and the HSUS (Humane Society of the United States) quit on the American People who had worked so hard in 2013-2014 to put the PAST ACT on the edge of victory. There were 308 House Co-Sponsors (118 Republicans to satisfy the Hastert Rule) and 60 U. S. Senators, making the Bill filibuster-proof. It was all not to be because HSUS CEO Mr. Wayne Pacelle and Congressman Ed Whitfield literally abandoned the PAST ACT on about July 31, 2014. Mr. Wayne Pacelle failed to deliver on his pledge to have Democrat Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) invoke cloture, and put the PAST ACT on the Senate Calendar for a Floor Vote. Congressman Whitfield released his Statement on July 31, 2014, right before the August recess, and never again addressed the PAST ACT supporters.
So 2015 began with the PAST ACT dead, and the Big Lick full of vim and vigor:
- Jan. 15, 2015 – The Big Lick ran USDA APHIS Vet Dr. Jeff Baker out of the Calsonic Arena in Shelbyville, Tennessee. Dr. Baker was trying to instruct Celebration Horse Inspectors what to do when people from Rep. Scott Desjarlais (R-TN) office showed up and harassed Dr. Baker so bad he had to stop the training session, and leave town.
- Feb. 19, 2015 – The U. S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals overturned the USDA Regulation to the Horse Protection Act which required Mandatory MInimum Penalties for Horse Protection Act violations. Consequently, the USDA’s attempt to “decertify” the Tennessee Walking Horse National Celebration inspection program was rendered moot, and the Big Lick party was ready to begin.
- Feb. 22, 2015 – The Big Lick Big Shots held a “LIVE FORUM” Telethon featuring all the Big Lick Heavy Hitters to build momentum for the 2015 Show Season:
PSHA Chairman Terry Dotson:
- We have worked extremely hard on our lobbying effort.
- We have two lobbyists on the payroll.
- Lobbying alone has exceeded $300,000.00.
- We have spent over $100,000.00 on public relations.
- We have spent over $100,000.00 on vets and establishing “testing standards”.
- We won a case, and that was a huge win.
- We gained momentum out of that.
Celebration CEO Mr. Mike Inman:
- I have been getting calls from early to late – East Coast to West Coast.
- They are calling about the success of the lawsuit.
- This is the first “Downhill” part of the journey in the past few years.
- We have momentum now.
- We have the best product in the equine industry.
- We have something very, very special.
- It’s the only thing that both a six-year-old and a 90-year-old can compete on.
- Get out and enjoy “THE HORSE”.
- Take time to go out and hug your horse this week.
Big Lick Vet Dr. Stephen Mullins:
- Raised tissue on a horse’s pastern should not be a scar.
- It’s no more than a callous on a working man’s hands.
- He said the USDA has an agenda to target certain people.
- He said USDA Vets tell DQPs “Are you going to turn down that horse or are you going to make me do it?”
Mr. Jeffrey Howard:
- 90% of Horse Shows benefit charities,
- 13 civic groups make money at the Celebration.
Hearing all this, Nephew Eugene with www.billygoboy.com stepped up and said:
- The only thing standing between the sore “Big Lick” Bad Ole Days are the American People.
And with the words of Nephew Eugene, the 2015 CITIZENS CAMPAIGN AGAINST BIG LICK ANIMAL CRUELTY was born to fight for these guys.
- Feb. 26, 2015 – An University of Mississippi (Ole Miss) alumnus and life long Mississippian, who has bred World Champion Tennessee Walking Horses, started a Change.Org Petition urging the University of Mississippi to sever all ties with Big Lick Animal Cruelty represented by the Big Lick Mississippi Charity Horse Show which was trying to obtain legitimacy and respectability by donating large amounts of money to the University of Mississippi Childrens Hospital.:
Representing the interest of the Tennessee Walking Horse breed, Mr. Seay and FOSH President Ms. Teresa Bippen met with the Chancellor of the University of Mississippi, and the CEO of the Blair E. Baton Childrens Hospital at the University of Mississippi Medical Center. In less than seven days, history was made.
- Mar. 6, 2015 – The University of Mississippi severed all ties with Big Lick Animal Cruelty and refused to accept a $50,000.00 charitable donation from the Big Lick Mississippi Charity Horse Show.
- March 10, 2015 – www.BillyGoBoy.com broke the blockbuster story of North Carolina Agriculture Commissioner banning the Big Lick from the 2015 N.C. State Fair. Over 10,777 persons visited the www.billygoboy.com website in 24 hours, with the article being shared over 8,000 times on Facebook.
NORTH CAROLINA BANS “BIG LICK” FROM 2015 N.C. STATE FAIR – NORTH CAROLINA DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE JOINS UNIVERSITY OF MISSISSIPPI MEDICAL CENTER SEVERING TIES WITH “BIG LICK” TENNESSEE WALKING HORSE
March 16, 2015 – A Change.Org Petition is started by the 2015 Citizens Campaign Against Big Lick Animal Cruelty urging the USDA APHIS to stop the “Scar Rule” change; strongly enforce the Horse Protection Act at the Mississippi Charity Horse Show.
THE “AMERICAN PUBLIC” VS THE $1,000.00 AN HOUR LAWYERS REPRESENTING THE “SORE” “BIG LICK – WILL THE USDA PROTECT “THE HORSES” OR LET THE LICKERS HURT THEM – WILL THERMOGRAPHY EXPERT DR. TRACY TURNER BE AT THE MISS. CHARITY HORSE SHOW NEXT WEEK???
- March 26 – 28, 2015 – The Change.Org asks the Show Manager to ban the 59 Big Lick classes, and the event receives media coverage and national attention:
- March 28, 2015 – A www.billygoboy.com reporter who was taking pictures and shooting video of the Big Lick horses at the Mississippi Charity Horse Show, first had wine thrown in his face, and then was assaulted by a Big Lick exhibitor who attempted to stop the reporter from documenting the Big Lick Animal Cruelty. The assault was blocked by a plain clothes Jackson Police Lieutenant, and a case file on the unidentified perpetrator was opened with the Hinds County Sheriff’s office. The You Tubes and Facebook videos made from the reporter’s footage at the Mississippi Charity Horse Show have now reached almost Two Million Five Hundred Thousand (2,500,000) persons all over the world.
INVOCATION BEFORE START OF MISSISSIPPI CHARITY HORSE SHOW
- March 28, 2015 – The announcer for the Mississippi State Charity Horse Show was “field arrested” by the Jackson Police Department for making internet threat against person associated with the 2015 Campaign Against Big Lick Animal Cruelty.
HORSE SHOW ANNOUNCER MR. TOMMY WILLIAMS TAKEN INTO CUSTODY BY JACKSON POLICE DEPARTMENT AND BOOKED ON SIMPLE ASSAULT/INTIMIDATION CHARGES – CCABLAC ANIMAL WELFARE ADVOCATE ACCOSTED DURING TWO YEAR OLD STAKE CLASS – USDA MISERABLY FAILS TO PROTECT “THE HORSES”
- April 6, 2015 – The Citizens Campaign asked USDA APHIS to provide USDA Horse Protection Activity Reports providing statistics on Horse Protection enforcement.
- April 13, 2015 – Harold Marvin Wilson from Hampshire, TN with the Citizens Campaign starts Change.Org calling for a Boycott of the “Gulf Coast Charity Horse Show” asking Citizens to “SPEAK OUT AGAINST/BOYCOTT THE “ANIMAL CRUELTY” ‘BIG LICK’ TENNESSEE WALKING HORSE SHOW IN COLUMBIA, TENNESSEE ON APRIL 24 – 25, 2015.”
- April 22 2015 – USDA APHIS Deputy Administrator Chester L. Gipson writes a letter to the 2015 Citizens Campaign Against Big Lick Animal Cruelty advising that USDA APHIS will begin publishing Horse Activity Reports on the USDA APHIS website.
(TO BE CONTINUED WITH PART II) – December 30, 2015