WASHINGTON, DC – The Citizens Campaign Against “Big Lick” Animal Cruelty urged the USDA APHIS by FedEx overnight letter to deny meritless requests for a 60 day extension from Sep. 26, 2016, to Nov. 26, 2016, made by Tennessee and Kentucky elected officials.
Interestingly, no officials from Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, North Carolina or South Carolina supported the request made by Senator Mitch McConnell (R-KY) et al, and Representative Scott DesJarlais (R-TN) et al.
Citizens Campaign Against “Big LIck” Animal Cruelty
“Speaking for and on behalf of “The Horses”, and over 100,000+ opponents of “Big Lick” Animal Cruelty, and not wealthy campaign donors (many of whom have been charged with “Big Lick” Animal cruelty violations), we urge the United States Department of Agriculture to “deny any request to extend the time for comments, and to proceed expeditiously to do all things necessary to make the Proposed Rule final as soon as possible after September 26, 2016, so that the 46 year reign of terror on the Tennessee Walking Horse breed will finally and mercifully come to an end.”
Citizens Campaign Against “Big Lick” Animal Cruelty Supports USDA APHIS
Citizens Campaign Against Big Lick Animal Cruelty
August 15, 2016
USPS Overnight & Electronic Delivery
Dr. Kay Carter-Corker
Assistant Deputy Administrator, Animal Care
4700 River Road, Unit 84
Riverdale, MD 20737
Re: Docket Number APHIS – 2011-0009
Dear Dr. Carter-Corker:
I am writing on behalf of “The Horses” who can’t speak for themselves, and over 100,000+ persons who have signed Change.Org Petitions against “Big Lick” Animal Cruelty which has terrorized the Tennessee Walking Horse breed for over 46 years.
I ask you and whoever has the power to do so to please deny the requests by Senator McConnell, et al, and Representative DesJarlais, et al. to extend the deadline by 60 days for submission of comments to the Proposed Rule (Docket Number APHIS – 2011-0009) which will modify the Horse Protection Act to abolish “Big Lick” Animal Cruelty.
The grounds for my request to deny the requests are as follows:
- 46 years of Animal Cruelty inflicted on the gentle Tennessee Walking Horse breed by the “Big Lick” perpetrators
- 2010 OIG Audit documenting a “corrupt” inspection system,
- Threats of violence (2011-2016) against USDA Vet Inspectors attempting to enforce the Horse Protection Act set out in USDA Assistant Secretary Mr. Todd Batta’s July 6, 2016 letter in reply to Representative Hal Rogers (R-KY) May 26, 2016, inquiry,
Panama City Beach “Big Lick” Horse Show – April 21 – 23, 2016
- Scandal surrounding the Tennessee Walking Horse National Celebration VAC (Veterinary Advisory Committee) in 2014 and 2015, where two noted Vets, Dr. Dallas O. Goble and Dr. Robert Hunt publicly disassociated themselves from the Tennessee Walking Horse Celebration VAC (Veterinary Advisory Committee). Former Budweiser Clydesdale Vet Dr. Goble said, “I wouldn’t touch that with a 10 foot pole”. Prestigious Hagyard Equine Institute (Lexington, KY) Vet Dr. Robert J. Hunt resigned for personal reasons and saying the Celebration VAC officials asked him to “help establish improved standards of care and training that would include prohibiting the use of action devices…” Dr. Hunt was lied to regarding the intent of the Celebration as evidenced by the Celebration’s opposition to the Proposed Rule which will remove the action devices (chains). The Tennessee Walking Horse is the only breed in America which is exhibited in CHAINS.
- I was present in 1988 in Decatur, Alabama when initial financial arrangements were made to obtain the services of freshman Senator Mitch McConnell (R-KY) to help save “Big Lick” Animal Cruelty. In 2016, Senator McConnell is now the U. S. Senate Majority Leader. In over 28 years, Senator McConnell has been paid approximately $800,000.00 by “Big Lick” Animal Cruelty interests to speak for, perpetuate and defend “Big Lick” Animal Cruelty.
- Senator Lamar Alexander (R-TN) hasn’t been to the Tennessee Walking Horse National Celebration in the last 31 years, and this year will make 32 years. His 2014 Re-election Campaign Chairman is Mr. Steve Smith, current President of TWHBEA (Tennessee Walking Horse breed registry). Mr. Smith and his trainer Mr. David Landrum were cited for violation of the Horse Protection Act(Animal Cruelty). Mr. David Landrum, who has leased a barn from Mr. Smith for over approximately 30 years, served two multi-year federal suspensions from training “Big Lick” Tennessee Walking Horses in the fact of alleged Horse Protection Act violations (Animal Cruelty).
- Smith raised approximately $3,000,000.00+ for Senator Lamar Alexander’s 2014 re-election campaign. Under Mr. Smith, the Tennessee Walking Horse breed registry has lost approximately 33% of its members over TWHBEA championing “Big Lick” Animal Cruelty. When the 6,950 TWHBEA members were polled in 2013, over 26% of them participated and the vote was 63% “YES” and 37% “NO” to removing the “Pads and Chains”. Mr. Smith will no longer make official complete TWHBEA financial statement of condition or important operating data available to association members of directors including foal registrations, horse transers, number of mares bred, monthly figures on number of members not renewing membership to name a few.
For all of the reasons stated, the Tennessee Walking Horse breed has been tortured long enough. Respectfully, neither U. S. Senate Majority Leader Senator Mitch McConnell (R-KY) nor senior Tennessee U. S. Senator Lamar Alexander have “clean hands” in this matter, and although they are powerful men, their impetus is money from “Big Lick” supporters – not the welfare of “The Horses” as intended by the Horse Protection Act of 1970.
Speaking for and on behalf of “The Horses”, and over 100,000+ opponents of “Big Lick” Animal Cruelty, and not wealthy campaign donors (many of whom have been charged with “Big Lick” Animal Cruety violations), we urge the United States Department of Agriculture to deny any request to extend the time for comments, and to proceed expeditiously to do all things necessary to make the Proposed Rule final as soon as possible after September 26, 2016, so that the 46 year reign of terror on the Tennessee Walking Horse breed will finally and mercifully come to an end.
Yours very truly,
Citizens Campaign Against Big Lick Animal Cruelty
By: __________S./Clant M. Seay______________________
Clant M. Seay, Animal Welfare Advocate
Copy: U. S. Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack
USDA Aphis Administrator Kevin Shea
USDA Aphis Deputy Administrator Bernadette R. Juarez
Senator Mitch McConnell (R-KY), et al Representative Scott DesJarlais (R-KY), et al
Ms. Teresa Bippen, President, FOSH (Friends of Sound Horses)
Over the weekend, Aug. 12 -14, 2016, the Proposed Rule “Comment” Trend turned sharply upward in favor of the USDA Proposed Rule to abolish “Big Lick” Animal Cruelty with 87% “FOR” – 149 “FOR” – 22 “AGAINST”.
The problem is there just aren’t that many people who favor the Licker position to continue the “Big Lick” Animal Cruelty.
The overall tally is 1,257 “FOR”, and 342 “AGAINST” of 1,599 Total Comments ……… ……..79% “FOR” the Proposed Rule to abolish the “Big Lick” Animal Cruelty by eliminating the “Pads and Chains” which is the only breed in American being exhibited in CHAINS.
Meanwhile back in Shelbyville, TN where the local populace no longer attends the Celebration, Tennessee State Senator Jim Tracy pandered to voters in this April 12, 2016, Shelbyville Times-Gazette article:
Senator Jim Tracy was nowhere to be seen in Murfreesboro on August 9.
Nephew Eugene says the Licker goal is two-fold:
- Try to raise $500,000.00 out of the “Fat Cats” at the Celebration to fight the USDA efforts to protect “The Horses” under the Horse Protection Act,
- Try to stall for the 60 day extension, and get the USDA to the Conference Table where the LIckers hope to negotiate a settlement to save the Pads and action devices, and continue the “Big Lick” Animal Cruelty for another 46 years.
Nephew Eugene says that train has done left the station.